Built in 1882 by the Merchants Mills & Co in order to make bleached fabric, this industrial building of 500,000 square feet was purchased in 1903 by Dominion Textile, which provided employment to over 3000 people in textiles manufacturing.
In 1969, the factory closed and was replaced by Coleco which made toys, including the famous "Pong" Console. Coleco employed 800 people and closed its doors in 1987.
The buildings were greatly damaged and concrete parts were added to the original buildings. In addition, for some dubious energy savings practice, the front facade of the Saint-Ambroise Road had been blocked by sheets of aluminum.
July 99, the buildings were purchased and extensive renovations were undertaken. The primary purpose of the new owners was to restore this magnificent building to its original appearance.
Putting aside the aspect of profitability, owners of Château Saint-Ambroise did not hesitate to demolish all the building parts that were not original.
It took two years to rebuild the facade and convert the rear of the building, which was used to unload trucks and storage of goods, in extensive gardens and terraces with magnificent views over the Lachine Canal.